вторник, 1 февраля 2011 г.

Woakes - I'm a bowler first

Chris Woakes admits he wants to improve his batting skills - but not at the expense of his bowling.

The Warwickshire seamer showed remarkable nerves to guide England to victory in the first Twenty20 International against Australia, hitting the winning run in a 15-ball cameo of 19.

It was a sensational debut from the 21-year-old, who could have become a footballer had he not chosen to concentrate on cricket seven years ago.

And while it was his batting that caught the headlines earlier this week, Woakes is hoping to make a name for himself as a bowler...for now.

"At this moment in time I am a bowling all-rounder that wants to become a genuine all-rounder,"he said.

"I do work hard on my batting and it's going in the right direction, but I don't want to neglect my bowling at the same time.

"It's a matter of improving both skills in the game. Last year was a big stepping stone for me going on a Lions tour to Dubai.

"My skills in all forms improved this year massively. Obviously being out with the England Performance Programme in Australia before Christmas helped as well.

"I feel like I'm going in the right direction."

Contract

Woakes was on Walsall's books in his early teenage years but opted to join Warwickshire's academy instead, and at the age of 17 found himself making his first-class debut against the touring West Indians.

"I played football until I was about 14 but then I chose to go down the cricket route,"he added."I had a contract with them (Walsall) until I was 16 but I got offered the Warwickshire academy so I decided to take that a bit more seriously.

"At the minute it seems like a decent choice."


Source

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий